Drill machine is used for many drilling purposes. According to its usage, its lifetime is dependent. There are many factors that you can observe for the drill to last long. The way you use, charging, using temperature, inner motor type, mechanical components and electrical components are the main factor for using a drill last long. Let’s see how these are affected to the durability of the drill.
A brushed drill can be last long about 7-8 years and a brushless drill more than 10 years. The durability depends on the usage, service and quality of the tool. If you can service and repair it continuously, you can use more than 12 years with changing the battery and parts.
No drill is made for a lifetime. When its parts are damaged we have to replace or repair. The durability depends on the work and service. If you need to use a drill long time you should know about service and proper maintenance about battery, electrical components and mechanical components inside. So this is about those things. Let’s keep read on!
How Much Time a Drill Motor Last Long?
There are 2 types of drill motors. Those are brushed drill motors and brushless drill motors. Brushed drill motors are with 1000-3000 operating hours and brushless drill motors with 10,000 operating hours which is 10 times higher than brushed drill motors.
Brushed drill Vs brushless drill is with different properties. Nowadays mostly used the brushless drill motors.
Brushed drill motors – Brushed drill motors are with brushes, commutator, armature and permanent magnets. The motor is powered with the current where flow on the brushes through a commutator. There is a scratching between the commutator and brushes.
Due to the touch and scratching, there is a noise and spark. This will cause many repairs and maintenance of the drill motor. Sometimes it can overheat and smoke due to the problems with the brushes. Brushes should change every quarter of the length of 50-60 operating hours.
Because of this reason, brush drill motors should repair and maintain regular for use. Therefore its durability is very low. When there is huge damage we have to replace the parts.
Brushless drill motors – The best solution for brushed drill motors. It is more efficient than brushed drill motors. There is no brush, therefore more efficiency, low noise, no spark, less maintenance with many advantages. Brushless drills are always worth their additional cost. When you use the brushless drill you can use it for about 10,000 operation hours.
When we consider both with the same power, we can see brushless drills are more efficient, less noise, no spark and fewer repairs. Therefore brushless motor is an essential electrical component for the durability of the drilling machine.
How Much Time a Drill Battery Last Long?
The drill battery durability depends on the charging cycles. Normally Li-Ion drill batteries are with minimum 1000 charging cycles. If you use it once per day you can use the battery for 3-4 years without considering any physical, environmental effects.
There are factors to be considered when you use a drill battery. According to the environmental and charging condition, its last long is depended. Let see what are these factors for the best life span of the drill batter.
You can make sure the durability of the drill battery by using the warranty with the brand.
|Brand of the Tool
|Black and Decker
Normally there are 12V,18V and 20V drill batteries are available in the market mostly. According to the purpose, there are more capacity drill batteries. Whatever you use there are pros and cons. There is a proper way to use a drill battery for a better life span.
There are two types of batteries Li-Ion and Ni-Cd batteries. But the most used battery type is Li-Ion. There is a proper way to use the Li-Ion battery that helps to maintain more durability.
How Much Time Drill Parts Last Long?
Considering the mechanical component of a drill is included gear wheels, chuck, hammering parts and many more. Those are well designed with their force and application. Hence this kind of part damaging is a rare situation. gear wheels are designed according to hold the maximum torque. If there is more external force it can be damage.
When you use a drill you should know its torque and RPMs which to make sure whether it is matched the real work situation. When you use a low-performance drill machine for heavy work it will overheat with smoke. Therefore use the correct tools as much as possible.
When you use a drill machine it is continuously overheating try to change it and move to a high-performance one. It means that the used tool is not compatible with your usage.
How to Maintenance a Drill Properly?
A drilling machine should be maintained properly to gain its maximum efficiency. You can follow these steps to maintaining a drill machine properly.
- Grease the drill parts – When you are working, the inner parts are rotating and moving. These are in touch with each other, and due to friction, it can be overheated. Hence power is wasted and we are not able to have maximum efficiency. So it is essential to grease the inner part on time.
- Use proper drill battery charger for the battery – The battery is the power source of the drill. So we should charge it well with the recommended charger. Do not wait until it is fully discharged as well as do not fully charge. Charge between 10-80%
- Avoid using drill in higher temperatures -When you are working on a high-temperature area it is not good for the drill battery as well as the motor. So let them cool while you are working
- Change the drill brushes on time – If you are using the brushed motor in your drill you should change the brushes after its length become quarter or before. So pay attention to that
- Avoid drill dust – When you are working under the dust your drill will be damaged due to scratching the commutator as well as Soild. So repair the drill after you finish the work asap
- Use Proper Drill Bit – Drill bits angle is essential for the cutting process. Proper drill bit angle can save energy and time. And also overheating the drill. Therefore always keep the correct drill bit angle for related material