An Impact wrench is with electrical and mechanical components. Mechanical components are moving with touching each other. There is a fraction in the moving parts. As a result of this, heating and noise occur. So it is essential to grease the impact wrench inside. So let’s see all steps you should know to grease the impact wrench.
- 09 Reasons – Why My Impact Wrench Overheat? How I Fixed It
- My Electric Impact Wrench is not Working – How I Fixed It?
- How Much Torque Does an Impact Wrench Have?
Step 01- Identify the Grease Requirement
When you use an impact wrench, you should know when you have to apply the lubricants inside. This is a technical problem. I think you remember the noise of the tool, comfortability, smell, heat etc. By using these things, you can realize whether you need to grease inside. So let’s see each one separately.
Normally branded tools do not include too many lubricants. They apply them as a coating. It can be 5% of the total volume. So you must apply the greasing after you use the tool regularly. So check below signs are risen for your impact wrench.
When you hear bad noise from the tool, you can decide that you need to apply grease inside. Normally it is like a scratching noise. When two types of metals are touching hardly, you can hear it. If this kind of abnormal noise will lead you to grease the impact wrench.
When you use an impact wrench, you can feel a burning smell. That will not feel you before. It is the smell that comes out from the tool due to no grease.
When you use an impact wrench, you can feel a lot of heat is generated while the tool is using. So you have to make sure whether the tool is overheated or not. Most heat is generated due to a lack of grease. So keep it cool and ready for the greasing.
This is important. The regular tool will not provide any dust outside. But if you can see any black dust comes out, the inside is completely dry, and there is no drop of lubricants. So pay your attention to this.
Step 02 – Check the Warranty
This really important thing. Warranty is very useful when there is any problem with the tool. So most power tool companies provide extremely super warranty for the impact wrenches. So when you try to grease it, you have to separate the tool. So you have to cut the stickers and some parts which are kept for the warranty checking.
So in this situation, you should not separate it. First, check the user guide or warranty agreement. If there is no problem, you can follow the below steps.
But if you can find such information call for the customer support. And ask them about the matter and check for the warranty. If they are okay, you can follow that. If there is no permission, ask them about the solution.
Step 03 – Seperate the Parts
After you have cleared all permissions and having the recommended instructions, you can grease. After that, you can separate the parts.
- First, have a proper size screwdriver or impact driver. Then unscrew all screws that need to separate the impact wrench. If you are not able to unscrew them use any rust removal. Sometimes those can be clogged due to rusting or dust. Hence there will be problems when you unscrew them.
Some tools are available with easy separation. Those can remove out only the impact mechanism section from the tool. You can see this unit is fixed separately from the screws. In this situation, you do not need to separate all parts from the casing.
That depends on the model to model. So you had better know which parts should be unscrewed for the greasing.
- After all screws are removed then, cut the stickers if needed. Use the sharp cutting tool for this. After you have cut all, then open the casing as two main parts. Make sure not to cut or scratch any wire.
After the main separation, you can unplug the light wires. Which is close to trigger. Normally no need to remove any electrical parts. Have the removing guidance from the user manual. If there is any screw that fit the motor and impact mechanism components, unscrew them all.
Step 04 – Seperate the Mechanical Components
- After you have done the main separation, you can see the motor combined with the impact mechanism component. So using a screwdriver, move up the motor and impact mechanism unit. then try to pull out the impact mechanism unit. Without having effort you can divide it into two.
So now we have the mechanical unit of the tool. This was a problematic area. So carefully separate all inside parts. Especially you can separate gear wheels. But do not separate the impact mechanism generator (hammer).
After that, clean the dust or any debris inside.
Step 05 – Apply the Grease
- After you have finished all separation and cleanings, apply the recommended grease. Grease is used as lubrication and heat transferring medium. Hence selected grease should be thermal stable in the high-temperature range. So do not use high thicker grease. You can use general use grease with the small grease gun.
Try to use this kit Ingersoll-Rand 105-LBK1 Impact Lube Kit
If you can, wipe the metallic surface with the greased cloth. It will prevent the corrosion effect.
Step 06 – Clean the Motor (Additional)
- After you finish the grease application, then assemble it all together as it was. And check everything is alright. Then connect it with the motor. Before that, clean the brushes and commutator of the motor.
- Because its straight spacing can be filled with carbon particles. You can clear it and then check for the brushes length. Because if the brushes are worn out you have to replace them.
If you open only the front, you can clean the motor. So don’t worry about these types of impact wrenches.
These kinds of problems occur for the brushed motors. if the tool is brushless, drop some oils on the bearings. It will long-lasting the impact wrench. Then plug the wires if you unplug any.
Read More About – Is Impact Wrench Worth It? – Facts Revealed!
Step 07 – Tight the Nuts
- After the process is over then assemble the casing together and then tighten the screws. You can use the screwdriver or impact driver for this. Make sure no wire touches the edge of the casing. Do not tight all screws together. Step by step, tight the screws until the impact wrench completely tighten.
Step 08 – Check for Testing
Now you have done all.! What is next? So check it whether properly working. Make sure there is no above problem. So you can hear fresh noise and no smell, heat or anything. Finally, you have done it!