When I needed to repair my pool, I had to use a power tool. But I did not know How to drill underwater. So I could study many resources and how I can do it properly. This guide is based on my task and definitely, this will be a helpful one for you. So let’s move to the process.
Using a Nemo drill, you can drill underwater for up to 50m. Nemo waterproof drill will cost 600$, and it can be used up to 5m. If you need a Nemo hammer drill, it will cost 1521$. Both are powered by 18V batteries. You will need to pressurize the tool before use underwater.
Conventional drill machines are not able to use underwater. Those can be used under wet conditions. But not able to drill more than 1m. Some tools can drill and drive up to 50m. So let’s keep reading on!
What is Nemo Waterproof Drill?
The Nemo Waterproof Drill is a specialized power tool designed for use in wet or underwater environments. It can be used up to 50m of depth in the water. It is powered by the 18V Li-Ion batteries. Once it is charged it can use about 55 mins. It has a 39Nm of torque. It’s often used in marine, construction, and other industries where drilling or fastening is required in challenging conditions such as submerged areas, wet surfaces, or even in heavy rain.
The Nemo Waterproof Drill is built to withstand water exposure without compromising its functionality or safety. It typically features sealed components and corrosion-resistant materials to prevent water damage and ensure reliable performance underwater. This makes it a valuable tool for tasks like underwater construction, boat repair, pool maintenance, and more.
What are the Specifications of Nemo Waterproof Drill?
These are the most important specifications of the Nemo waterproof power drill.
|1/2″ (13mm) Keyless
|32-140°F ( 0-60°C )
|Up to 50m (164ft)
Nemo is a great brand of underwater power tools. Drills, drivers, grinders, and many tools are available under this budget, and those are a bit costly considering the regularly used tools. It is actually worth considering the cost of the project.
How to Use Nemo Drill Underwater?
Before you use the Nemo tool underwater, you should pressurize the tool. You can do it by removing the red cap from the pressure valve on the back of the hammer drill. Then Attach a pump, such as a hand pump supplied with the hammer drill, to the valve.
Before you use the tool underwater, make sure the tool is pressurized with its recommended values.
|Depth in Meters
|Depth in feet
|Up to 5m
|Minimum 15 psi ( 1 Bar )
|Up to 10m
|Minimum 29 psi ( 2 Bars )
|Up to 20m
|Minimum 44 psi (3 Bars)
|Up to 30m
|Minimum 58 psi (4 Bars)
|Up to 40m
|Minimum 73 psi (5 Bars)
|Up to 50m
|Maximum 87 psi (6 Bars)
*Do not add more than 87psi (6 bars)
Why is Nemo Pressurize Essential?
Nemo’s regular drills do not need to be pressured. It is with suitable seals. By pressurizing the tool is increased the inner pressure, which is a match to the working area pressure. When the depth is high, the water pressure is also increased. When the tool inside pressure is increased, its seals will not break due to the water pressure.
Nemo Best Practise for Usage
- In order to maintain the tool and battery, we need to practice the best steps. The drill can be used under salty, chlorine, and drinking water. Make sure to rinse the tool in salty water after you use it.
- Do not exceed the recommended depth
- Pressurize the inside before using in-depth water
- Follow the battery charging guide for the problem
- Before inserting the battery into the hammer drill, check that the three O-rings on the battery are present and undamaged.
- If any of the O-rings is missing, water will leak inside, and it will cause serious damage and lifetime of the drill
Who Needs Nemo to Drill Underwater?
Drilling or driving underwater is a real challenging task. According to any necessity, you may need to drill or drive a nut and bolt it under the water. Some people need to use this kind of tool underwater. Probably you may be one of them.
1. Pool Builders
If you are a pool builder, this kind of tool is essential. You can spend less time installing or repairing the lights, plumbing, and cleaning. If you use a conventional drill, you will need to drain the water to repair or losing nuts and bolts. So if there is any tool that can be used underwater is a real solution for you.
2. Commercial Divers
There are types of divers. Commercial divers are a few of them. They are the people who build bridges, repair blocks, and plumbings, ship propeller cleaners, or any boat-lifting persons. These people need to use drills or drivers according to the nature of their job.
3. Military And Safety
For public safety, or military will need waterproof drills for their tasks. Sudden repairs, constructions, launchings, cleanings, clearing, and observation will need this kind of tool.
4. Boat Owners
When using a boat long time, you can see some sea animals attaching to the surface. If you need to remove them, you need to take out the boat from the water and wipe them out. This is a costly task and time-consuming work. So if we can use an underwater drill, we can attach any brush to that and clean the surface.
5. Construction and Plumbing
If your new project is related to water construction, you will need a waterproof drill or driver. It will make your task easy. If you are a plumber, you can work with water with a waterproof drill.
What are the Limitations of Nemo Waterproof Drill?
Nemo is a lightweight cordless waterproof power tool. Due it wattage, battery capacity and efficiency we can list these 4 limitations such as
- Depth limitations – Nemo Waterproof Drill are designed up to 50m of depths after pressurising it. Using the drill beyond its specified depth or any failure in the pressure system may damage the drill or cause it to malfunction.
- Battery life – The Nemo waterproof drill is powered by the cordless drill.It can withstand 55 mins underwater. However, it can vary with the temperature of the water and the workload of the drill.
- Higher cost – Nemo waterproof drills are generally more expensive than regular drills due to their specialized design and functionality.
- Not for heavy duty use – Nemo drills are not suitable for heavy-duty underwater construction projects because it has 39Nm of torque. It can be used in certain limited tasks.
But Nemo waterproof drill is the best solution for the water related drill and driving tasks.